Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day 2010

Our moms, Marilyn and Janet.

On Sunday, May 9, we celebrated Mother's Day at our house by having our parents over for a special lunch in honor of our mothers.
I served lunch in our dinning room and used my Butterfly Meadow dishes. Ken prepared the meat on the grill. My mom brought a casserole and Ken's mom made appetizers. Our menu was as follows:
Roasted Garlic Hummus with Bagel Chips
Bruschetta Cups
Blackberry & Apricot Cups
Garden Salad
Hot Rolls
Broccoli Cheese Casserole
Lasagna Casserole
Green Beans with Almonds
Smoked Apple Turkey
Grilled Beef Sirloin
Sparkling Clementine Cider
Angel Food Cake with Fresh Strawberries & Blueberries
Chocolate Raspberry Coffee
Angel's Dream Hot Tea
Ken and I prepared special bags for our mothers that contain everything they need to host a proper tea at their home. In the bag was a mini tea cup decorated with cherries that I found in Traverse City, MI. They also received cherry preserves, cherry cinnamon tea, authentic English curd, tea cookies, and a gift certificate to St. Louis Bread Company so they can purchase yummy pastries for their next tea.
Ken and his mom Marilyn.

Jennifer and her mom Janet.

It was a great day spent with family. Many laughs, good food, and family. Who could ask for anything more? Ken and I are truly blessed to have two wonderful mothers. Our mothers reminisced on past traditions. The one my mother remembered from her childhood was wearing a carnation to church on Mother's Day. If your mother was living you wore a pink carnation. If your mother was deceased you wore a white carnation in her honor. Ken's mother shared a song she learned in primary Sunday school when she was a little girl. She remembers singing it on every Mother's Day.

"All through the year I try to do

the things to show my love for you.

And not to be happy just to say

I love you, Mother, on Mother's Day!"


No comments:

Post a Comment